Tuesday, December 21, 2010

Pelicans

"Sitting on the dock in the bay."

This fellow and some of his friends are not very shy and tolerate me taking pictures of them. Pelicans are such big odd looking birds. Of course this time of year without all the tourists and the migration of so many types of birds, you really notice the Pelican.


This is a group of Brown Pelicans and King Pelicans hanging out behind my new favorite fish shop. I like to come watch them during low tide. The pelican on the lower right has just caught some large squidy looking thing.


Pelicans are something you just sort of take for granted here at the beach. They cruise by in groups of five to nine flying low over the water looking for food. Then all of a sudden one will dive into the water and come up with a fish. Swallow it down with a gulp or two and then fly off to join his friends. They are quiet birds for being so big. They are also protected birds under the wildlife act.

Here at the beach where I am staying someone has been killing them in large numbers. As many as 20 to 60 have been discovered in the past few weeks. It is so sickening. I will never understand the mentality of these people. Harming such magnificent creatures. I am hoping they find these people, quickly. Meanwhile, I am enjoying watching them and learning more about them.

1 comment:

Janet Ghio said...

I'm so sad to hear about the pelicans. I hope they find the awful person that is killing them!!