Monday, January 4, 2010

The Ledger Papers

I thought I would share some of the ledger pages with you. I hope you enjoy them as much as I have. It is just a sample a small slice of life back then.

The ledgers start in 1868 and go through 1872. They are northern ledgers so I am sure the Civil War did not have the same effect that it had down south on these types of establishments.

Ten hats for $2.00 and a valise. Obviously this person was going traveling. I see they remembered the Scotch.

Here on the store ledger they had to do the math right there next to the account. I wonder if there was a little disagreement going on.

These are names that stayed in the hotel. It also has room numbers.

I love the different colors of inks on this page. The handwriting is so lovely.

7 comments:

Cate said...

these are gorgeous, what a treasure!

Lisa Holtzman said...

How beautiful and interesting to thumb through. Glad you treated yourself!

Diane said...

Oh, I'm so jealous!!

Terri Kahrs said...

What a wonderful slice of history, Elizabeth. I, too, love the penmanship - such a lost art, and the colored inks. These page are an aesthetic treat. Gorgeous! Hugs, Terri xoxo

Just Me said...

Oh my goodness, so beautiful I am at a loss of words (adjectives...lol).

Unknown said...

What a wonderful find. Can you believe the hand writing? I think kids should have to practice penmanship again. Thanks for sharing.

Shopgirl said...

catching up! I love Ledgers...they have a story with in the lists, cost of things, the way of life. The handwriting is really sweet.
Love, Mary