Friday, April 15, 2011

A Good Read...

In keeping with my immersal with the Civil War this week, I borrowed The Union Quilters from my mother. It is a very quick read and very accurate with it's facts. I enjoyed the read immensely. Warning - all of her books make you want to quilt. It is one of Jennifer Chiaverini's most heart touching books. This series is best read in order to get the full impact of each book. Ms.Chiaverini's view point of the Civil War and it's impact on the North is right on target. The women of the North were able to form Sanitary Commissions to get food, clothes, blankets, medicine to their men. The South was too poor and devestated to be able to do this. Everyone suffered because of this. I have enjoyed reading this book. I love the central theme of women getting together, quilting, and working on local and national problems. Everyone and their opinions are respected. Their art and love is expressed through their quilt blocks. Many of the patterns we use today were made up during this time period. So if you want a good read pick up this book...
Two women reading letters from the front.

3 comments:

marcia said...

I LOVE her books!
I'm on The Quilter's Legacy..the fifth book. I am a quilter and the books have inspired me to get back to what I love.

happy day!

Jeanie Callaghan said...

Thanks so much for bringing this book to my attention.

Janet Ghio said...

I love her books-I had forgotten about her. Thanks for reminding me. I will look for this one at the library!