Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Row Houses




Houses have been on my brain lately. Maybe it is because I had my kitchen floors and hallways replaced, stained, sanded and finished. This meant six days and five nights at a local resort. On the beach. Sounds like fun? Actually after a few days you just want to be home and sleep in your own bed. Home looks pretty good!

These are row houses. I first saw these on a yahoo group, Next Generation Stamper, and the Creative Card Swap group and then on Trish Bee's blog. Leave it to those talented British. They just sort of sat in the back of my mind. I believe they did a swap, but with knowing my floors had to be done and the commotion surrounding that I was afraid to join in. I get discouraged when people don't follow through. So, I decided to make a bunch for myself.

I don't know the "right" way to do this or even if there is a "right" way. This is how I did them. I took 3 by 5 inch index cards and cut the various size house shapes out of them. Then, I got out the oil pastels and chalk inks and just played with colors. After that the fun began. Stamping. I forgot how much I enjoy stamping and how many stamps I have. You can use decorative paper, scraps, material, whatever you want to make your house out of. Each one is just a little piece of home. Add embellishments, just go to town. You will be surprised how fast your village will grow.

This could be a portable art if done in stages. The cutting and coloring on the go and the stamping and embellishing in the studio. I also think this could be a lot of fun to do with kids - of all ages. Leave a baskets of pastels, house shapes and some embellishments on the table and see what they come up with. I see lots of possibilities with these.....

14 comments:

Ingrid Dijkers said...

Whoa! These are absolutely outstanding! LOVE your use of colors and images. Are you planning to bind them in a book? Would really love to see what you do with them.
Best-
Ingrid

Gerrie Johnnic said...

OMG, these are all, each and every one, a story in themselves...all just beautiful! Thanks for the inkspiration! hugz Gerrie

bockel24 said...

These are all very lovely, Elizabeth! I haven´t seen such colourful houses before!

Patti Edmon Artist said...

The houses are fabuloso! I think you should start a swap, it would be so cool to see what a row of five or six different artists' houses look together!
I might see if I can get my kids interested...
best,
patti

Carol said...

Love your row house, especially the rich vibrant colors. I'm a color junkie. Each one is a piece of ART. Enjoy getting lost on your blog. Your photography is amazing.

Carol Q said...

love these, so vibrant and colourful. i bought a really nice template at a local stamp show at the weekend and am itching to have a go!

Viola said...

Stunning houses! Just gorgeous!! :o)

Rena Sawatski said...

Your row houses are beautiful. Too bad you did not sign up for the swap as I am sure we all would have loved to be the recipient of these.

Thanks for all the freebies that you post.

SC-The Artful Mama said...

These are really beautiful!! I love these little houses and have seen several displayed in frames and also on a large canvas! I think these are fun, cheerful, bright, and gorgeous!!!
Great inspiration!!!
xoxoooxo
Susan Chong
beegsmachine@yahoo.com

Laurel said...

Very cool Elizabeth! Makes me want to stop working on stuff for a show and just PLAY.

Laurel

Michi Michaelson, Orange County, CA said...

Hi Elizabeth!
I just LOVE your Row Houses . . . how vibrant and cheerful they are!!! I'm SO glad you gave in to your inspiration . . . THANK YOU for the wonderful eye candy!!!!!

*jean* said...

your row houses are very inspiring!! love all the different colors, stamps and images....looks like you really enjoyed your process, thanks for sharing!

Trish Bee said...

Absolutely STUNNING! I love the vibrant colours you used in them all.

Gaby Bee said...

Your row of houses are truly gorgeous. Love such colorful art!