Thursday, May 13, 2010

Spaghetti Salad


Today I thought I would share an easy basic recipe for Spaghetti Salad with you. I like to make this on a Friday so that I have something quick and easy to munch on over the weekend. I like to have something quick ready, especially if I have a lot on my plate so to speak or company in for the weekend.

Remember, this is a basic recipe for a great lunch or with some soup and some homemade bread, dinner. I am just giving you the basics because there is so much you can do to change this. You can add ham, pepperoni, tuna, grilled chicken or fish. I personally like it with salmon,blue cheese and black olives added. So, I say go for it. Make it your own. It will keep for several days. I actually think it gets better after the first day you make it.

Spaghetti Salad

12 ounces to a pound of thin spaghetti
1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese - I like the skim variety
1/2 cup chopped green pepper
1/2 cup diced tomato
1/2 cup thinning sliced then chopped red onion
1/2 cup chopped cucumber - I peel mine first
1/4 cup sliced olives - I like both green or black
I also like to add avocado sprinkled with lemon

some kind of Italian dressing/ I use close to a bottle of this
1/2 bottle of McCormicks Salad Supreme/this is optional also

Cook the noodles. Drain well. Put in large bowl. Add salad dressing and McCormicks Salad Supreme. Mix well. Add all of the other ingredients and whatever else you want to throw in. Cover and refrigerate. Serve cold. Enjoy!

7 comments:

Jan said...

This looks and sounds delicious. What's more, it's healthy... which is a bonus!
Thank you for sharing.

Unknown said...

Yummy!Its sounds like the perfect summer food. I'm going to give it a try...:)

Diane said...

This sounds like a delicious, fresh meal! Love your journal page too!

Terri Kahrs said...

MMmmmm . . .I LOVE summer salads! Usually I'll cook a big batch of something on a Friday or Saturday so we can have it at the ready. Thanks for this great recipe, Elizabeth! Hugs, Terri xoxo

marcia said...

I am hungry already and it looks SCRUMPTIOUS!!!

gonna make it! can't wait ...yummm

happy day!
~marcia

Micki said...

This really sounds delicious. Thank you so much for sharing.

Nancy said...

I tried this recipe and it's a handy one to have and count on! Thanks for sharing it. Also, as a side note, I used Dreamfield pasta (linguine). It has a 65% lower glycemic index than regular pasta. This means it helps to avoid spikes in blood sugar which can happen after eating carbohydrates. It's tasty, too.