Sunday, August 14, 2011

Some public art...



Traveling through the mountains of North Carolina this summer I have been trying to stop and appreciate most of the small towns I go through. I stop and check out the stores, restaurants, parks, etc... Every once in awhile I run across something that makes me just smile. Yesterday was one of those days.
Sunday is not a day for commerce in the South. It is a day for families, church, and food. Hitting the main streets are always good photography days. No one is downtown and the streets are pretty much yours. I ran across these examples of public art in a small town that has been supported by the furniture buisness. All along main street where ever they could they had some wonderful local art. I loved the caged piece. The sculpture on the bottom was a winged bird. The flower assemblage was made up of all sorts of nice rusty pieces. But the huge bird was my favorite. So overpowering, made of all sorts of different types of wood - just like the chairs and tables made here.

3 comments:

Terri Kahrs said...

One of the things I like best about small towns is their individual personalities. This art is amazing!!! Thanks for sharing! Hugs, Terri xoxo

Ann said...

love these!!
this is something i would enjoy doing..very little main street around me!!!

Barbara said...

Love your pictures of North Carolina especially the mountains. They say you can take a North Carolinian out of North Carolina, but you can't take North Carolina out of a North Carolinian! That's true with me for sure!!! Thanks for sharing!!!