Friday, September 17, 2010

School Days - Freebies

This is one of my favorite school pictures. Some of the kids are dressed up, some are not. I love the community feel of this picture. Most of all I love the dog - the school mascot.

Music class, one of my favorites. I always got stuck with the little triangle even though I wanted the tambourine.

A one room school house in the shelter of the pines. I love how the boys are in their suits and the little girls have on their starched white dresses. A picture was a big deal then, and people dressed for the occasion.

This looks like a small school to me. At first I thought it might be just a class, but with further inspection I realized it is just a one room school house. I love how the boys have taken their hats off for the picture [except for the one boy behind the teacher.]

They seem to be quite the lot here. I love how in the front row one little girl has on her Mary Jane's and right next to her the little girl is barefoot. Her feet look like they have never seen a shoe.

Looks like Recess Time to me. Every one seems to be very happy! The carefree days.


These are some school day freebies for you. I tried to pick a variety for you. They are a little late. I know we are in to the second or third week of school depending on where you live, but it is the soonest I could post them.

This year is the first year that none of my boys are here starting school. My youngest moved up to college the Monday after my hip replacement. It was rather traumatic for both of us. He was very upset about leaving me, but it was our plan and he could not really do anything for me that the nurses, doctors, and rehab people couldn't do.

It is hard realizing how quickly they all grow up.
The good news is that he loves school, loves his new job, his housemate is working out. Although he told me that he had to school him on washing dishes and keeping things picked up. It is so funny to hear them complain about those type of things. Oh well, I hope school has started off with a blast for all of you and yours. Enjoy!

20 comments:

Rita A. said...

wonderful photos. Thank you for sharing. I miss school days. Mine and my daughters.

Diane said...

Thanks for sharing, Elizabeth & have yourself a wonderful weekend!

Marie Lost Bird Studio said...

Hello Elizabeth,
love the photos! Thank you so much for sharing!
Have a wonderful weekend.
Hugs,
Marie

Unknown said...

These are awesome pictures!!! Thanks for sharing. (hugs)

Andrea said...

These are just wonderful! Thanks!!

Sarah said...

Old school pictures are so much fun! Thanks for sharing these.

Evil Edna said...

thank you for the wonderful images, I love all the unwitting testimony like the shoes and bare feet.Best wishes for a speedy recovery.EE

Janet Ghio said...

thanks for sharing the photos--I think my favorite is the one with the little girl with the Mary Janes next to the barefoot girl!!

Penny Wessenauer said...

Lovely images Elizabeth, but I think I like your comments about your son the best! Everything good to him in life should come his way.. sounds like a great person!

Terri Kahrs said...

Thanks for sharing your awesome collection, Elizabeth. These pics are really wonderful. **sigh** It's been years and years since our last son went to college. I still remember coming home from work and crying my eyes out -- did it for about two weeks. I couldn't even walk past his bedroom without crying. Geeze, I missed him so much! It's so hard to give our kids "wings", but so fulfilling to watch them fly! Hugs, Terri xoxoxo

of sage and sepia said...

Thanks for sharing these. I love these old school pictures, although some "back stories" are probably sad - like the little girl with no shoes!
I can relate to the youngest child off to school- letting go is so much harder than holding tight. But, on the plus side, it's what we call "adult time" - time many of us haven't had for decades!
Hope you're making good progress recovering.

Micki said...

Thanks so much for sharing these wonderful photos with us. I hope you are getting stronger with each day.

Sherrie said...

Love the school photos! And the report card images! Thank you for sharing these :0)

Robin said...

These pics are wonderful Elizabeth! Thanks so much for sharing.

Jenn White said...

What amazing photos, Elizabeth. Like you, I always got stuck with the triangle, but I still took it seriously :-) Thank you for giving me a glimps of 'your' past.

Timaree said...

I think it is funny how the kids adapt to roomates. My son finally quit renting a room in a communal house just 2 years ago at 35. He was sooo tired of the filth some of them don't mind living in.

martha brown said...

Thanks for the school pics, Elizabeth. School is my favourite theme.... well, sewing too.....

Pam said...

Love the school photos. The barefoot girl brought to mind a story my aunt tells about going barefooted to school. Of course they wore shoes to school in the cool weather but they couldn't wait unti it was warm enough to go barefooted to school. She said they always look forward to the day grandma would let them leave their shoes at home. This would have been the 1930's and early 40's.

I telling my GD today about my report card from first grade and that I got a C in conduct. She had never heard of a conduct grade. Guess it's now called behavior.

Unknown said...

I love school pictures too...I wish I had some of mine, but I have my mom's.....she always looks adorable...My grandma made all her clothes...

Yvonne said...

Thanks for sharing these wonderful old pictures, they're great!
Greetings from Yvon