Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Zucchini Bread

Yesterday a neighbor dropped by a bag of Zucchini from their garden. They had a bumper crop this year. I remember the end of the season and wondering what to do with all the produce our garden had blessed us with.

The first farm we owned was off of a road that led to a state park. We hauled an old picnic table to the drive and I would place large baskets of vegetables in them with a "Free Vegetables" sign on it. Every Friday morning I would pick extra and place them out on the road side table. Often there would be notes of thanks or a little something someone had left for us. For many years I was "the lady with that table". I figured there were a lot of people enjoying our extras. How much can one family cook, can, pickle, freeze, or put away?

All those memories came flooding back with the delivery of a bag of Zucchini. I pulled out my grandmother's recipe for Zucchini bread and made a few loaves. Thought I would share it with you. Enjoy!


Ingredients

3 eggs/well beaten
2 cups sugar
1 cup vegetable oil
3 teaspoons vanilla
2 1/4 cup flour
2 teaspoons baking soda
1/2 teaspoon baking powder

2 teaspoons cinnamon
1 teaspoon salt
1 cup of chopped nuts - optional - I like pecans
2 cups of raw zucchini - washed, grated, peeled or unpeeled

Beat the eggs in a large bowl.
Add the sugar and oil gradually to the eggs.
Sift all of the dry ingredients together in a separate bowl.
Add the dry ingredients to the egg, sugar, and oil mixture.
Then pat the grated zucchini dry with a paper towel.
Add the zucchini, vanilla, and optional nuts to the mixture.
Gently mix all ingredients together.
Pour into greased and floured loaf pans[2]. I use the 8 1/2 inch by 4 1/2 inch pans.
Bake at 350 degrees for an hour and ten minutes. Makes 2 scrumptious loaves.

7 comments:

Penny Wessenauer said...

This looks luscious...what great memories you have! I never wrote to thank you for your Cilantro Lime Vinaigrette recipe, but I made this for company early in the summer, serving with bbq'd shrimp and a lovely fruity salad, and it was "well appreciated by many".. So are you dear lady!
xxooxx Penny

Karyl said...

Yes! Ellizabeth is definitely on her way back! Thank you for sharing and for working hard on that physical therapy!

Elizabeth Golden said...

Oh Penny Thank you so much! Sounds like a wonderful meal!

Terri Kahrs said...

Elizabeth, I just knew you had a generous spirit!!Think of how many enjoyed your generosity and bounty over the course of years. Awesome! And, speaking of generosity, thank you for sharing this recipe. I've always loved zucchini bread! Hugs, Terri xoxoxoxo

PS I hope each day finds you stronger and stronger!

Beverley Baird said...

Ilove zucchini bread! I haven't made it in ages!
Glad to hear that you are on the mend.
Thanks so much for the recipe - I will be sure to try it this weekend!

Mrs. Fry said...

Thanks for the recipe. I am going to try it. My zucchini did awful this year. I got TWO from three plants.

Hope you are feeling better too!

Unknown said...

I was just blogging about zucchini bread.....I have made a ton of it. The recipe I use has brown sugar instead of white. I sure love it, but I have stayed away from it.
I have given away more tomatoes this year. I had a bumper crop and it was fun to share with everyone.