Sunday, April 5, 2009

Swap Pages - All about Crows



Finally found some time and energy to load these pages I did for the tip in swap I am in. These are for Marion. Her theme is Crows and Ravens. They really don't have those red shadows on them. My scanner was reflecting the light from some crystals and rhinestones I used on them.

I did the background on photo shop. I picked a frame I like to use and then layered the write up from an old bird book about crows I had scanned in. I printed that the size of her pages - 6 inches by 6 inches. Then I took two photographs and turned them both into black and white photos. One that was of a deserted house and the other of a crow in a tree. I sized them to her page size and printed them on transparencies using the mirror image feature on my printer. I then sewed the transparencies to the main page with my sewing machine using black thread.

After the sewing was finished I found several crow images I like and images of several Victorian women. I matched a crow to one and used that. I have a junk tray of old jewelry and garage sale stuff. I sorted through that and found some shiny pieces to make the nest and a rhinestone heart and chain for Mr. Crow.

This was going to Germany and my post lady is from there. I told her about the project and she decided we should use special stamps to send it with instead of a metered stamp. She helped me turn the package into a piece of art. Those in the states can guess what stamps we used. I don't want to spoil the surprise.

6 comments:

Viola said...

Gorgeous pages, Elizabeth!!

Unknown said...

Nice job on these, Elizabeth! Good story telling. The layering with the transparencies was a perfect choice here, it seems. Love the shiny bits too!

bockel24 said...

Thanks for telling the story of the process! Now I can´t wait to see the envelope of course :-))

Joan said...

These are just wonderful!

Mixed Media Martyr said...

Excellent pages!!

Willnnabel said...

I love these pages. I participated in a "Crow and Raven" fat book exchange. It is one of my favorite exchanges still. These pages are truly beautiful.