Saturday, March 7, 2009

Waikiki Chicken


I have been missing one of my kids terribly. He is in another time zone. Working, surfing, just being a young single guy. This is one of his favorite dishes that I am making tomorrow. It is really yummy. You can make it ahead of time and it is really good heated up as leftovers also. I serve this with a simple white or yellow rice. It is all in the sauce. The other nice thing is that this won't break your pocketbook.

4 chicken breasts
1/2 cup flour
1/3 cup oil, I use regular canola oil
1 teaspoon salt, pepper to taste

1 can[1 lb.4 oz.] sliced pineapple
1 cup sugar
2 tablespoons cornstarch
3/4 cup cider vinegar - or apple juice
1 tablespoon soy sauce
1/4 teaspoon ginger - optional
1 chicken bouillon cube
1 large bell pepper, cut in 1/4 inch circles

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
Wash and dry chicken, coat with flour.
Heat oil in skillet. Add chicken and brown on all sides.
Place chicken in shallow baking pan skin side up and salt and pepper.

Make the sauce :
Drain pineapple, pour the liquid into measuring cup and add water to make 1 1/4 cups.
In saucepan add all the remaining ingredients[ except for pepper and pineapple] along with the pineapple liquid. Bring to a boil, stirring constantly.
Boil for two minutes then pour over chicken.
Bake uncovered thirty minutes.
Add pineapple slices and pepper slices.
Bake thirty minutes longer or until chicken is tender.
Serve with rice. I like a crisp salad or marinated tomatoes with this. Enjoy.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is delicious! I cooked this tonight for my Micronesian niece. Just after we finished, her brother called from Hawaii, just minutes from Waikiki Beach! Thanks for sharing!

Elizabeth Golden said...

I am so glad you liked it. We ate this Sunday night, after a long weekend and car ride it was delicious!

Unknown said...

My mom used to make this when I was a kid...yummy and so fun to see on your blog!