Saturday, January 29, 2011

Southern or Dixie Fried Chicken with Cream Gravy

Here is the South, Sunday Supper is a big thing. It is a time to see family and get together and share a meal. People set aside this day to enjoy the little things. I spent many a Sunday with family, eating incredible food. This is one of my favorite meals. It definitely is one of those foods that conjure up memories. There is nothing better than fried chicken and gravy with home made biscuits and green beans. Yum!

Southern or Dixie Fried Chicken
1 [2 to 3 pound] broiler-fryer chicken, cut up
salt and pepper
2 cups all purpose flour
1 teaspoon red pepper
1 egg, slightly beaten
1/2 cup milk
hot oil
Season the chicken with salt and pepper.
Combine the flour with the red pepper. Set aside.
Combine the egg and milk.
Dip the chicken in the milk and egg mixture.
Then dredge chicken in flour mixture, coating well.
Heat 1 inch of oil in a skillet. Place the chicken in the skillet.
Cover and cook over medium heat about 30 minutes or until chicken is golden brown.
Turn the chicken occasionally.
Drain on paper towels. Makes 4 servings.
Cream Gravy
4 tablespoons drippings
4 tablespoons all-purpose flour
2 1/2 to 3 cups hot milk
salt and pepper
Pour off all but 4 tablespoons of drippings in which the chicken was fried. Place skillet over medium heat, add flour till browned. Gradually add hot ilk, cook, stirring constantly until thickened. Add salt and pepper to taste. Sere hot. Makes about 2 cups of gravy.

7 comments:

azviatx said...

This brings back memories. I was raised in Texas, but with folks from all over the South, and we had this type of meal all the time. Now, there's no one to cook for and I am straying towards "healthy" these days. Sometimes I cook up a skillet full of sausage gravy, make tons of biscuits and take the whole lot to work for the "always" hungry horde. They love it. The picture is certainly appetizing and mouth watering. Tina

Janet Ghio said...

Boy does that look good!

Terri Kahrs said...

OMG! How yummy!!! Thanks for this luscious recipe, Elizabeth!!! Hugs, Terri xoxoxo

indybev said...

Brought back memories of iron skillets for me! For really perfect fried chicken, a well seasoned and well loved iron skillet is an absolute necessity! YUM. Thanks for the memories.

Ann said...

my parents were from Georgia...this is how my Mom made her fried chicken..fried in CRISCO from the can or the lard block!! gosh..it was sooooooooooooo good. I've yet to make it just like her's..but I suppose I never will because it was made with her love!!
thanks for sharing tis..what happy memories it brings back. hugs!

Mrs. Fry said...

This looks really delicious. I like the chicken pics too.

Timaree said...

Enjoyed the post. I know my when I was growing up we got 2 1/2 - 3 pound chickens but now you can hardly get one 4 pounds. They are all bigger! My mom used to make this gravy. My husband won't eat it. Someday I am going to make it for myself.