Friday, March 18, 2011

Treasures from another Time...

Small bobbins in rainbows of colors.They are around eight inches long.

Medium size bobbins.I liked the shape with the holes in them. These are around 16 inches tall.

A mixture of large bobbins with beautiful threads in them.

Large bobbins with different threads in them, from fine to quite coarse, almost yarn like. The largest is around 16 inches.


In my travels I have to make it a point to stop every three to four hours. My poor hip gets pretty stiff if I do not get out of the car and walk around a bit. I try to spice it up with thrift stores, antique shops, southern towns, main streets, and photograph sessions. It is not the destination but the journey my body reminds me.

I have left North Carolina and ventured into South Carolina and Georgia on my way to Alabama. An hour or two into South Carolina I saw a sign for a swap meet and decided to stop. Never found the swap meet, but did find this little out of the way antique shop. I could not believe my eyes when I spotted these shelves of old bobbins from the local textile mills.

Bobbins, bobbins everywhere. I had never seen some of the large ones before, except in pictures. The small ones you see floating around the south, made into all sorts of things [candle sticks,posies]. The large ones - no, I can not recall ever seeing them. Bonus points for still having thread on them.

Of course, I had to have a few! The prices were unbelievable -so I filled up a box and added them to my collection of goodies I am carrying around with me. They make such a statement from the past, I really could not walk away. Much of the South was all about cotton and the textile mills that supported whole cities. They are a reminder of that time. The fortunes that were made from these mills. My new sewing room will have a few new additions and I will have a few more memories of the past.

11 comments:

Tammy Freiborg said...

I'm curious to know what is their actual size in inches; I've never seen any like this. Enjoy the JOURNEY! Happy St. Patrick's Day!

Wildflowerhouse said...

Elizabeth you have found a real treasure. I am envious. They are beautiful and priceless.

shared exchange hosting said...

Happy St. Patrick's Day dear! Have fun!

Janet Ghio said...

These bobbins are wonderful. What an adventure you are having!!

Elizabeth Golden said...

These bobbins range in size from about 8 inches long to about 18 inches tall. The biggest is quite large.

heather noye said...

If your travels take you thru Chattanooga, go to The Knitting Mill http://www.knittingmillantiques.com/ I've picked up tons of old bobbins will fabulous worn paint for a dollar or two a piece. I have visions of using them in various assemblages but have a hard time parting with them.

Elizabeth Golden said...

I can drive right through there to get to the mountains. I will put it on my list of stops to make. Sounds fascinating. Thanks!

Jeanie Callaghan said...

What lovely treasures!

Unknown said...

What a great find! Wish I were in Charleston right now! Have a great trip and more "rest" stops.

Shopgirl said...

I would love to find just one of these. You did really good. You are having just to much fun!!! Happy Traveling, Mary

Lori @ art camp for women said...

I found a few bobbins in CO about 2 years ago - like you I had to have a few - unlike you they were expensive. If you want to finance a trip further west, you could buy them there and sell them here LOL. I thought they would just be attractive dust collectors, but have found many uses for winding up various braids and trim. Great score...maybe I'll do a little drive. Thanks for the great post.