Friday, August 21, 2015

This is what I have been eating lately...Watermelon & Feta Salad

Watermelon & Feta Salad with a few black olives thrown in

Nothing says summer to me than Watermelon.It is one of my favorite things. How cool is it that you can eat something then spit the seeds without anybody looking at you like you have no manners. As a kid my brother and I had big seed spitting contests off the stone wall of out patio. I am sure our neighbors were somewhat repulsed if they looked out their bathroom or bedroom windows.

Now as an adult I don't spit seeds as much. The boys thought it was great fun when they were growing up.(Thank goodness none ended up in their ears or nose. Yes that did happen with other objects, but that is for another time.)Now they make those cute little baby watermelon with no seeds. Those are perfect for this salad.

I usually get one small watermelon stick in my refrigerator for an evening to get nice and cold. Meanwhile you will need a few other things to put in your salad. I do not use any lettuce or Arugula. One new thing about me you might not know is - I do not like greens. I do not eat Arugula or any dark green lettuce type thing. Kale, oh no.I will eat Iceberg Lettuce but honestly,why? I like all the things that go in a salad, so why waste the space in the bowl and in my stomach with lettuce, or any of that bitter tasting stuff? Again, this is personal taste. My beautiful sister adores all of the above. I love to watch her eat it with great gusto. I just can't.

Some ingredients for this salad:

at least 4 ounces of Feta cheese - crumbled
2 ounces of crumbled bleu cheese
a cucumber - peeled and thinly sliced
black olives or Kalamata olives
tomatoes - cherry or regular cut into chunks
dried cranberries
fresh blueberries
sunflower seeds
mint optional


I cut the whole watermelon up at one time. I cut into about 1 1/2 inch pieces or as big as 2 inch pieces.I usually use about half for one salad.I mix 4 ounces of feta cheese, 2 ounces of bleu cheese, some olives, thinly sliced cucumbers and depending on my mood tomatoes. Sometimes a little extra fruit is in order. I really like dried cranberries with this salad. Gently spoon the mixture to mix.

For the dressing you can do several things. A good Italian with fresh black pepper, olive oil and red wine vinegar is good also. However, my go to dressing is almost a cup of a good Balsamic Vinegar with a spoonful or two of sugar. I heat this in the microwave at 20 second increments till the sugar is melted. It does not take long. Stir. Pour on your salad. Eat. Enjoy!
p.s. you do not have to use a dressing with this salad. Eat plain if you want.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

This looks delicious! Thanks for sharing your memories and recipe!

Janet Ghio said...

How great to see your post! I don't know if your blog just hasn't been coming up on my feed or if you have taken a break from blogging--but either way, I am happy to see a post from you. My husband still likes to spit the watermelon seeds!!