Sunday, September 6, 2015

Pimento Cheese Recipe

Pimento Cheese

I thought I would share this recipe for Pimento Cheese with you this Labor Day Weekend. It is a staple in most Southern kitchens. Every women in my family makes
it and every recipe is delicious. My 
mother and cousin Barbara are probably 
the reigning queen's of Pimento Cheese.
My youngest son makes a mean Pimento 
Cheese,also.

Cherry Peppers or Pimentos

First I want to talk about what is a
Pimento? It is a Cherry pepper. It is 
very mild and sweet. Very low on the hot
scale. I buy them in the jar. However, you
can make your own by buying the peppers and
preparing them. Just saute them and slice them up. 

My recipe is:

2 cups of shredded extra sharp cheddar cheese
1 8 ounce package of cream cheese, softened
1/2 cup of mayonnaise
1 4 ounce jar of diced or sliced pimentos, drained

Okay that is the basic recipe. Now you can add all sorts of stuff according to your taste. I am giving you what I add to make it delicious.

1/4 teaspoon of garlic powder
1/4 teaspoon of onion powder
1/4 teaspoon ground cayenne pepper
a dash of Worcestershire sauce
salt and pepper to taste.

Once you have assembled your ingredients put them all in a large bowl. Take your mixer and mix on medium to combine all the ingredients. Salt and pepper to taste.
Refrigerate to set up around a half hour or so. 

Now you have made your Pimento Cheese you can decide how to eat it. There are so many ways. You can serve it as a dip with crackers. Here in the South we like it as a sandwich spread. Two pieces of white bread, spread on the Pimento Cheese. I like my crust cut off. Or, a grilled Pimento Cheese for breakfast or lunch is delicious. 

Into the dinner hour, Pimento Cheese makes a great stuffing for chicken breast. Slice them open, put in a spoonful or two of Pimento Cheese. Close with a toothpick or string. Brown chicken breast in frying pan then put in a baking pan and bake till chicken is done. Delicious. 

Don't forget Pimento Cheese and your burgers. It make a wonderful topping. Or you can fill your burger with Pimento Cheese, grill, add a thick slice of tomato and have a truly gourmet taste treat. 

Of course there is the BLT with Pimento Cheese, either grilled or not. Did I mention Pimento Cheese spread on an English Muffin with your favorite egg on top? The list goes on and on. Truly a versatile and staple to any kitchen. Enjoy.  

No comments: