Monday, July 21, 2008

Felted Journal Covers




I recently acquired a felting machine. I have been fascinated for some time with the whole concept of felting. The machine gives you a few more options. One of those being that you can use it to fuse fabric to your felted piece. The machine is a lot faster, also.

This is a brand new world for me. I am experimenting with fabric, wool, felt, ribbon, lace, and yarn. Whoa! That is a lot to play around with. Once you sit down and spend some time you just want to try everything.

I started with a sheet of felt that you would do craft or hobbies with. Not a particularly heavy weight piece of felt. It was about the size of a piece of copy paper. I then grabbed a bunch of scraps from my sewing table, fiber bag, and some wool roving. Turned on the machine and began to randomly fill the sheet of felt. Each fabric, ribbon, lace has its own texture and look.
After the sheet was pretty much filled up I grabbed an image of a young woman that was printed on muslin and sewed it on with my sewing machine. I went randomly over the felted piece with my sewing machine to secure or highlight various parts of the sheet.

At this point I was sort of at a loss as what to do with the felted piece. I thought of cutting it up into ATC's or postcards. After a quick glance around my studio I decide maybe a book cover or a fabric book. I had a cheapy notebook I had picked up and it was the right size if I cut the sheet in two pieces. So I cut the sheet in two and used gel medium to glue it to the covers of the plain black notebook. Voila! A new journal and made from scraps except for the image and a paper flower. This really has possibilities.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Elizabeth! I adore your blog and I am so glad you left me a message. You live in one of the places that I have always wanted to vist...it sounds like a different version of home. We also love all the same things and your art is my kind of thing! You are so talented and I love your recipes too...got my eye on that crab dip, I have some crab just waiting...I definitely am going to put you in my fave blogs section! How did you find mine? just curious, come back and visit anytime and you can bet I will be back! Melinda

Unknown said...

Ok, i am back....I have a little more time now to enjoy your creations. I love this journal cover. I have made a couple in fabric but not felted. What a great idea......Melinda

Lorraine said...

love your felted journal cover. I converted a sewing machine into a felting machine but have only used it a couple of times but this has inspired me to do some more felting when the kids have gone back to school

Ingrid Dijkers said...

A felting Machine?! I didn't know there was such a thing! After seeing your journal cover I absolutely have to check into this. Your cover is amazing!
Best-
Ingrid