Saturday, November 1, 2008

139 Roses

I bought this miniature dress form at a place in Raleigh, North Carolina that sells everything imaginable to open your own store. Display cases, jewelry displays, full size mannequins, you name it and it is very reasonably priced. This little baby was three dollars. She has sat in my studio for about five years waiting.

This past week as I went through the mass of catalogs that seem to pour in this time of year I stumbled across a rose catalog. As I started to toss it into the trash I realized - this is just what I need for my girl up in the studio. One propped up foot, one movie, and 139 roses later the catalog was demolished.

Breakfast the next morning was a quick glass of juice and roses. The roses were applied from the top down with gel medium. I used gloss. The copper paint was already there when I bought her. I took the tacky trim off and put something a little more elegant on her. She has a head now - a doll head from a friend and a butterfly necklace. She looks quite elegant in her spot in my studio.


The unfinished piece.
The bust.
The front.
The back.
The backside.
The front bottom.

Add Image

5 comments:

Patti Edmon Artist said...

Unbelievable! What an ingenious idea - it's beautiful.

ScrapAddict said...

Beautiful!!

Christy said...

Seriously this is incredible. I can name 10 women on my list of x-mas gifts who would just love something like this. Amazing creativity!

Diane said...

So very beautiful. What a great idea. I love it!

Anonymous said...

Super job, Elizabeth! Isn't it wonderful how something can sit around for years and then, WHAMMO, along comes inspiration!