Thursday, August 18, 2011

My Favorite Summer Salad...


This summer has been full of surprises and quite a bit of heat.  My comfort food has been this Tomato, Basil and fresh Mozzarella Cheese salad.  I have eaten it for lunch, dinner, and just because. I have found it to be extremely filling and full of flavor.  Most of all refreshing during the heat.  It is very easy to fix.

Summer Salad/Tomato Basil & Mozzarella Cheese

2 to 3 firm but ripe tomatoes
8 to 10 fresh basil leaves
8 ounces of fresh Mozzarella Cheese
sprinkle of oregano
1/4 teaspoon coarse salt
1/4 teaspoon fresh ground pepper

Slice the tomato and the cheese about the same thickness - 1/4 inch or so.
Layer the ingredients like this tomato, basil, cheese.
Sprinkle with salt, pepper, and oregano.
Drizzle dressing on them.[recipe below]

*I personally like to layer my ingredients on a small layer of shredded lettuce. It is just one more delicious texture to eat.

Easy Summer Dressing

3 tablespoons Balsamic or Red wine Vinegar
1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
pinch of salt and pepper
Enjoy!

2 comments:

peggy gatto said...

My husbands favorite too!
I think I will follow YOUR recipe!
thanks!

Ann said...

i have copied this!!looks so good..and so easy!!
i have saved every recipe you have shared since i started following your blog!!! haven't been disappointed yet..every recipe has been wonderful!
thanks so much !!!!