Monday, November 23, 2009

Chris's Scalloped Sweet Potatoes and Apples


Thanksgiving is just around the corner. I thought I would share this recipe with you. It was my grandmothers. Everyone called her Chris. She was known far and wide for her cooking. She ran a boarding house for the railroad men to make ends meet after my grandfather died. Anyway the combination of flavors here is wonderful. This is an easy recipe and tastes like you spent a lot more time than you did. I hope you will make this a family favorite.

Scalloped Sweet Potatoes and Apples

8 medium sweet potatoes cooked - pierce with fork and boil whole.
4 medium granny Smith apples, cored and cut in rings
1/2 cup brown sugar, firmly packed
1/4 cup maple syrup
1/2 cup pecans, halves or pieces
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon ground mace
4 tablespoons butter

Peel sweet potatoes and cut in lengthwise slices about 1/2" thick.
Arrange layers of potato, apple slices and pecans in a greased baking dish.
Melt the butter, salt, and mace together. Add syrup.
Pour over layers.
Cover and bake in moderate oven 350degrees for 50 minutes.
Serves 6 to 8 people.

8 comments:

Lisa Holtzman said...

Wow, this looks great! Thanks for sharing the recipe. And, how interesting about your grandmother.

Snap said...

This sounds so good! Two of my favorite things -- sweet potatoes and apples! Thanks!

Jodi Ohl said...

mmm...sounds delicious. I will definitely add this to my recipe collection!

Jeanette said...

Yummy recipe.

To answer your question at Soartful...I haven't figured out how to do that yet. It's on my list of things to do. That feature will be coming soon Until then you can save then resize maybe. Would love to see your lovely art pieces show up at Soartful.

Jeanette

Susan said...

This looks delicious!
Is the 1/4 cup maple sugar suppose to be maple syrup?

Thanks!

Susan

Elizabeth Golden said...

Yes I am sorry for the typo I have corrected it.

Terri Kahrs said...

Yummmm! Thanks for sharing this great recipe, and have a Happy Thanksgiving, Elizabeth! Hugs, Terri xoxo

heather noye said...

This sounds wonderful!!! I love the combination of sweet potatoes and baked apples. Every year at my office a co-worker brings in something simular. His also includes mini marshmellows. It's very good but almost ~too~ sweet. This recipes sounds like the perfect happy medium.

thanks for sharing!