Wednesday, May 7, 2008

An Extra Hour

Today I received the gift of an extra hour in my day. It got me thinking about how to spend it. For me, doing something for someone else, menial stuff, art? And then I thought of this quote my Mom said to me along time ago - "We make a living by what we get. We make a life by what we give." Winston Churchhill. So it was purge time for the closets, then off to Vintage Values. A local thrift store where the money goes to helping abused women and children.


I am seeing and reading alot of books and magazines about organizing and getting rid of things you don't need. Simplifying your life. I have been doing this in big leaps and small baby steps the past year and a half. The best advice I can give you, if this is something you plan to do is - break down your rooms into sections, do a little bit everyday, keep a bag or box in each room so when you come across something it can go in the bag. If you are anything like me it took years to accumulate and it is not going to walk out the door in a weekend. Try and get rid of as much as possible before you try to reorganize.. Put like things together and color code when you can.


Did everyone peruse the two or three publications out on studios? I love to look into that part of some one's life. The one thing I have found out is I have been bad about assumptions. Some of the studios do not match what I thought they might be like. Others were so cool I had know idea. I think part of being productive is being organized. As long as you know where everything is that is all that matters.

No comments: