Thursday, May 8, 2008

Milestones and Mothers



We hit a milestone today. My baby turned eighteen. It can't be. Just yesterday he was this precious little boy, not the young man he is in such a hurry to be. My wish for you is that you surround yourself with people that love and care for you as much as your family does. That no matter what road you take in life it makes you happy and gives you the ability to give to others. My mother warned me about how I would feel once the "brothers" were all grown an out on their own. One more reason to admire my Mom. Funny the older I get the more that is happening.
And why is that? Does every generation just have to experience life before they can understand the past? On a daily basis I find myself doing or saying something that my Mom or grandmother said or did. They make perfect sense to me now. When I was eighteen they were just annoying. Now I just hope I am around long enough that my kids can appreciate me in this new way that I have come to appreciate my Mom.
It is something that has just crept into my life through the years. Small things - like "keep the wet towels off the floor", "if your not going to wash those dishes right now at least put some water in them so the food doesn't get hard". Just small little things. I have an old trash bag box that I keep plastic bags in. The plastic bags the paper comes in. It is long thin and totally unusable. If I had a dog maybe I could use them for walks. I have these bags 'just in case".
My grandmother did this and my Mom has a whole drawer full of bags. Ahhh I am becoming them.
I will say they have wonderful traits beside this bag hoarding thing. My grandmother could paint, green thumb with flowers, could arrange gorgeous bouquets, and could do any crafty thing imaginable. My Mom has the eye for color, style, and grace. And most important has given me the ability to believe in myself in ANY situation. I hope I pass on to my children just half of what they have given to me.
I thought I would post some images in their honor. Not of them - maybe another time -but some mom images. Please remember your Mother or Grandmother or even just a special woman in your life for Mother's Day this Sunday.