Saturday, February 25, 2012

Banana Bread...Comfort Food


I am longing for Banana Bread.  Maybe it is the fact I can not get into the kitchen to make anything that is fueling this desire.  Or, maybe it is that I am just sick of bananas in my cereal and they are turning brown sitting in a bowl on my counter. It could be that for the past few days the only thing my house smells of is glue, mortar, and tile dust. Something warm and yummy would be nice to smell.
This is my favorite recipe for Banana Bread I hope you will enjoy it as much as I do. I use pecans instead of walnuts - just because. Enjoy!


Banana Bread

1/2 cup of Wesson oil
1 1/2 cups sugar
2 eggs well beaten
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 cups sifted flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/3 cup buttermilk/or sour cream
3 very ripe bananas, mashed
1 cup walnuts, chopped

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Oil two loaf pans.
Cream oil and sugar; add the eggs and salt. Mix well.
Add flour and soda combined with buttermilk/sourcream.
Add bananas. Fold in the nuts.
Pour mixture into 2 loaf pans.
Bake for approximately 45 minutes.
When bread leaves sides of pan and toothpick comes out clean, the bread is done.
This recipe easily doubles.
I eat one loaf and usually give one away.
Sometimes I slice and freeze the second loaf. 

2 comments:

Unknown said...

The warm scent of banana bread being baked is definitely one of life's simple pleasures. I understand your craving.

Ann said...

ooohhhh...i can smell it now!!!!!
thanks for sharing this!!!!
just think how beautiful you nest will be once it is all complete!!