Thursday, May 14, 2009

Aggression Cookies - This or This


A friend sent me this picture of this door with a note saying she was hoping this was not going to be what her kids were doing all summer. Usually she sends them to various camps, and where they worship has a program for the kids during the summer. Because of the uncertainty of these economic times she has decided to cut back and do a lot more home involved things. She asked me what was she going to do when they said "I'm bored". I have a lot of suggestions for that. This is one of my favorites when two kids can't find anything to do and start picking on each other.

Pull out the bowls and make aggression cookies. I let both kids make a batch. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

3 cups oatmeal
1 1/2 cups brown sugar packed firmly
1 1/2 cups flour
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1 1/2 cups softened butter
optional - raisins, dried apricots, cranberries, almonds

Dump all the ingredients in a large bowl. Mash it, knead it, pound it. The longer and harder you mix, the better it tasted. Really. Roll the dough into small balls. Bake on cookie sheet - non stick kind in 350 degree oven for 10 to 12 minutes. promise no one will be bored or edgy after this. Top off with a glass of milk and a good book.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

What great advice! Thanks for sharing the recipe.

Beverley Baird said...

This recipe is so close to the "Butterscotch Oat Squares" my Mom made for us so often. I can remeber coming hoem at lunch to them hot from the oven.
Maybe we need a blog for "what to do for summer" that doesn't involve a lot of money!!
Maybe I will take that on - what do you say???

Nancy Ward said...

Hi!

Today I posted a link to your blog on mine.

Would you let me know if that's OK?

Thanks,

Nancy Ward
http://paperfriendly.blogspot.com

Terri said...

Simply a wonderful solution!