Monday, September 15, 2008

Board Book with Canvas - Play

The cover to my 8" by 8" altered child board book. This all started with a piece of canvas I used as a worksheet piece of paper on my work table. When it became covered with paint I used bits and pieces of scrap text and fabric from other projects to glue or sew on it. I then added the fairy and girl images. Originally I was going to cut it up and make ATC's and 4 by 4's with it. However it seemed a shame to separate the little fairies so I made a book instead. I hope you will enjoy it as much as I enjoyed making it.



This is the first page to my altered board book. I used some of the same ideas throughout this little book. First each spread has canvas collaged images that are beaded and sewn. Each page was prepped the same with gesso and dress patterns. I picked a color theme that was dictated by the canvas - pinks, yellow and oranges.




Page two, which is actually the center of my book, is again like all the other pages gesso, then a dress pattern tissue glued on with gel and then paint, paper, etc. On this page I needed some different texture so I went with dyed cheese clothe.

I dye the cheese clothe by mixing acrylic paint and water in one of those small plastic deli containers with a lid. Make sure you mix the paint well with water. Then, wet your cheese clothe, wring out and put in container. Put the lid on and give it a shake. Let sit for awhile then remove cheese clothe and squeeze out moisture and let dry. I dry it on paper towels. You can use remaining paint water to dye fabric, lace, or even paper towels.

On my little fairy girls I sewed the canvas an added the beads before I attached them to the book. The buttons were an after thought so they are just glued on with gel medium.




This is the last page of my board book. I used a vintage embroidered handkerchief that was badly stained in one corner. I soaked it in yellow ink and dried it to take the really white out of it. I then laid it crosswise across the center of the book so that I would get most of the embroidered part in the book. Also my center was a little tacky looking and this covered it up well. Again, I used canvas panels that I painted, collaged and sewed on.



18 comments:

K said...

fabulous work!

Michi Michaelson, Orange County, CA said...

Ohhhhhhhhhh . . . I LOVE your altered book, Elizabeth! It's GORGEOUS!!

Unknown said...

beauteous!!!
xoxo
jul

Katrina said...

Stunning, I just love the colours

peggy gatto said...

Charming art!!!

Rosie said...

Oh that I should ever make a book as beautiful as this! Wonderful!

Susan said...

I love your altered book. Beautiful colors and great techniques. Thanks for sharing.
Susan

Iowa Sunshine said...

Your book is so creative! Love,love,love it. I like the way you used the hankie. Cute. Thanks for sharing your talent! HUGS

Anonymous said...

This is a wonderful book, Elizabeth! I love all the layers and also the restraint you used.

Anonymous said...

This is gorgeous, love all those warm colors together :)
Your work is both stunning and inspiring!
Cheers,
Gaye

Anonymous said...

YOur book is beautiful! The colors are so vibrant and lovely! Great job!
Lotus

Sandie R said...

Wonderful altered book Elizabeth, so much interest in it.

Anonymous said...

I love the colors first and then the textures! Thanks for letting us beginners see the "how to" aspects!

Lorraine said...

just been reading your fascinating blog. Love your little canvases I am doing a similair thing with altered book pages..keeps the creativity going doesnt it. I am glad you were able to weather the storms. Love all your recent work and all your delicious recipes

Unknown said...

Your board book is fantastic, love the theme and the use of the patterns throughout - FABULOUS

Unknown said...

What a beautiful book, I truly do live it.

Jen xo said...

Just beautiful, love the colors and textures, jenxo

Max said...

Hi Elizabeth, you gave me the inspiration to make a book of my own. I went to go look in the childrens book section of Winners (like your TJMAX) for board books. I found several on clearance for under a $1 each. I am going to give this a try - I love what you did with your book, you can tell you had a lot of fun doing your book. Thank you.
Maxine