Monday, September 1, 2008

Steampunk ATC's


These are my Steampunk ATC's for a swap on one of the Yahoo groups. It is a make nine get eight back. I made ten so I would have nine in the end, also. These were probably the hardest ATC's I have ever made. I really hit a wall with this swap. Although, I had seen Steampunk, I really did not know the name or understand the concept.

Steampunk is Victorian meets Modern. Lots of wheels, gears an axles, moving parts with an antique feel, yet not. It has lots of metal, yet fluid lines similar to art nouveau. You can find it in assessories for the home, jewelry, and even fashion. I am very attracted to the jewelry, and some of the clocks made in this style. I did several days of research before I started. I am still not sure if I got it right for the swap.

This style is still on the fringe. I believe combined with the green movement in the next few years we will be seeing a lot more of this. It has the potential for alot of growth an appeal to a lot of different types of people. Something new to follow......

7 comments:

sandee said...

AS always...BEAUTIFUL!!!!! I love your blog and where it goes with art. Steampunk...I have to check this out!

Anonymous said...

Elizabeth, you are "right on" when it comes to Steampunk! I love these ATCs! You inspired me to try some for myself...what a great theme. Thanks for sharing your little works of art with us.

Jazz said...

Wow! I love this look... Those are really really cool.

Miss Oddity said...

I love your ATCs ... they are always so beautiful and sumptuous ... just like your blog. It is always a pleasure popping in here.

Anonymous said...

way cool atc's...and thanks for the brief "definition" of steampunk...I've been wondering about that, but I suppose a lot of art defies definition!
Dianne

Unknown said...

Elizabeth, I think you have definitely "got it" your steampunk atc's are magnificent xxx Go Girl

Barb said...

Wonderful Steampunk art!...I love dropping by you blog...so much eye candy!