Sunday, September 21, 2008

People in Chairs - Freebies


Cleaning up in my studio late last night I started looking around at the photographs I have adorning my shelves and workplace. Trying to decide to put them away in boxes for later use and put something fresh out or to leave them out a little longer. It sort of dawned on me that alot of these people are in chairs. All different type of chairs. Plain chairs, ornate chairs, wicker chairs, chairs everywhere.

This morning I had one of those "duh uh" moments when I realized of course they are holding chairs, sitting in chairs, sitting on steps. It took forever to take a photograph back then. Many people would get tired and holding a pose was much easier if you had something to hold on to or sit on. So this week I am giving you some of the photographs that caught my eye for one reason or another.....

Here he is a very cute young man. I am thinking this is the big one year portrait. Definitely a country boy. I call him Sam. Very nice homemade chair - my boys had several pictures taken in a similar family chair. I love the dark fabric and the polka dots. A very loved child. Which is all children really need. Note the arm reaching out to steady him on the left side of the picture.


Isn't she darling? Reminds me of little Miss Muffet who sat on her tuffet. The tuffet being a very Victorian chair. I love her checked dress with the full skirt and boots. An early "Carrie" from Sex in the City?

This is Patricia or as she says, she likes to be called Patty. I found this and the picture below in a small local shop. The lion headed chair is what attracted me to this picture. {I have a similar settee with carvings like the chair.} They are both postcard pictures. On this one she goes on to tell the person - kid- she calls them that she wishes they were with her and what fun they would have. Also, that she got home safely and the kids were back and how her life would be filled with the usual. I thought it was very telling.


Here is the "man in a chair". The background looks like a painted curtain of a gentleman's study. The woman is lovely in her white dress with all the lace and tatting. She is friends with the woman above. I am wondering if they are cousins or maybe sisters.

2 comments:

Audrey said...

Thanks for your freebies!

~*~Patty S said...

What a lot of wonderful photos! Browsing your blog is such a delight, eye candy out the yingyang! I just Love your style and approach to art! Great blog candy as always!